Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scrobble Scribble #6: Gila by Beach House


^Do you like that? Just a little bit more of an integration of Last.FM by me into this post. And may I add - I much prefer typing up these Scribbles than doing video after the horrible quality of Scrobble Scribble #5.

So I would've Scrobbled that track around a bit more than an hour now. As I am typing I'll probably play it again just to refresh my memory on the song, check my charts.

Gila, taken from Beach House's newest album "Devotion", is mesmerizing and slow. I can't honestly say I don't know a true similar artist to Beach House, although you could find out through Last.FM, but apparently they're given the genre label of "dream pop". Actually, Last.FM's recommended artists aren't very accurate (although I don't really classify as a regular listener of any of the listed artists). The closest artist I can think of musically, would be Air. Air is more electronica inclined but they have that dream pop type atmosphere.

Gila is more organically orchestral because of the organ in this particular song giving it a very ethereal type quality. The singer, Victoria Legrand, has a distance from the song and an echo effect which rely enforces that etherealness. When she sings Gila in the chorus is really good, and soft. To be honest, I can't make sense of the lyrics and the closest thing I could find about the world Gila itself is a creature called the Gila monster.

Just a short post for Beach House, there's not really much else to say but enjoy the good, chilled music.

Beach House - Gila







Scrobble Scribbler uses Last.FM and Last.FM's "Audioscrobbler" software. However, Scrobble Scribbler is not employed by Last.FM and thus views expressed by its author are not those of Last.FM. Join Last.fm here

BONUS:

In Scrobble Scribble #5 I mentioned near the end of the video that I saw Beach House perform Gila on Pitchfork which was what inspired me to do this post. The video is below, it is the 1st part of 3 done for the Juan's Basement segment on Pitchfork.tv

No comments: