Sunday, September 7, 2008

Belated post for last week: Crosstown Traffic

I was going to post this on my own personal blog that I host with Windows Live Spaces but it refused to connect for some reason so I abandoned the post. But it is interesting, from guest lecturer Katie's own personal experience with getting fired over blogging, that had me interested in the exposure of myself online. It was particularly well-timed with the recent post I did with the death of my friend, Alex (which I blogged about before).

When I quite briefly combed through some of the older entries on my own blog, some of it to me makes me cringe but I would not (and will not) take it down because it was me at the time - and deleting seems to be unfair because I put the effort in to write about it in the first place. However, I wonder if anything I have written could be used against me in the future? It is surely something I have just now worried about.

I think it would be a good idea to have posts that you can publish on your blog but only you can see, while other posts you can post for everyone to see (I believe LiveJournal has such a function). Because if you look at my recent post on my personal blog for example, and then look down a few posts you can see that such a space is merely a sort of scribble pad for whatever I am feeling. Now, that doesn't matter to me but if people are going to be reading my blog they might not feel as comfortable with some of the things I said (is it within context, in other words). So to me, I am coming to a realization of the aethstics of a blog. When Katie said she wanted to make another blog (on the few that she already upkeeps) it seemed like a ridiculous idea to me but I am coming to understand that for the sake of herself - and a potential audience - what's private and what's public still exists in impression management.

No comments: