Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Scrobble Scribble #3: Momma I'm So Sorry by Clipse

Little story about my music taste: people who know my music taste should know that it started with Hip Hop. Not rock, not metal, but Hip Hop - specifically the song H to the Izzo by Jay-Z. I received as a gift for Chris Cringle from this guy. Spawning from that point, I went through the stage where any Hip Hop was good; Nelly, Ja Rule - why not! Then I discovered the album "illmatic" by some really dumb luck (or what you might call, internet hipsters and getting bored), which started my phase of listening to underground/alternative Hip Hop and being antagonistic to anyone who listened to mainstream Hip Hop or didn't know who I was listening to. I started researching the history, watched Style Wars, watched Scratch, read (and still do) read blogs. Then I started finding out the popular samples for Hip Hop - Jazz, Funk, R&B, Soul and dabbled in a bit in that. Then for some reason I got into psychadelic rock (probably because of listening to "Bitches Brew" era Miles Davis) and eventually came to listening to rock. And that's pretty much it for me, after that I started listening to Triple J & FBi because Uni deprives me of money to spend on music. It's opened me up to all types of genres and now I just listen to anything. Still, I probably look into Hip Hop a lot still.

And of course, I still have to keep up with my favourite music some way (downloading of course). And I still have a heap of music which sometimes I acquired and listened to once, then gave up on it because I didn't understand it. But then I revisit and realise - why didn't I like it this much first time around? "Hell Hath No Fury" by Clipse is one of those albums (Momma I'm So Sorry being one of the many songs). The time it was released it was getting so much hype and rave reviews to back it up. But when I listened to it I was like - wtf? It sounded so arrogant, heavy beats - this can't be good. But after a couple of years, and releases by similar sounding The Cool Kids, you just get this newfound appreciation. I don't think Clipse have gotten in my Top 50 yet, but I think some of their tracks from Hell Hath... should be creeping up my charts. You have to get off your high horse once and a while and just love knockin' beats by a group so crazy that they get labelled as "Coke Rap". Also, I just admire Pharrell and his Neptune beats. Some people might find him annoying but he's very likable to me.

And all of the beats here are provided by Pharrell Williams & partner Chad Hugo --or a production team you may know as The Neptunes. They've produced so many songs and are probably recognized by their bucket sounding beats. This one isn't strictly normal-Neptunes sounding beat because of that accordion but it has that epicness of Drop It Like It's Hot. In fact, why I chose to do this song was because of that unique accordion part I was hearing which was similiar to the Cool Kids' new song, The Delivery Man (and later, reminding me of Accordion by Madvillain). Right at the start of the song, you get Pusha T (1/2 of Clipse) singing "Miami Vice... For My Cocaine Dreamers..." setting the "Coke Rap" label in its place. The lyrics are very braggadocioloious - " I Philosopy's About Glocks And Keys" - but that's really the keys to Clipse's success; never letting up to their hardnosed approach, backed with crazy beats. Oh and the beat - it's sort of like a high hat, mixed with a bit of bass and that lovely accordion. Top that off with a bit of Pharrell vocal - just in case you didn't he wasn't over everything else on this album.

Besides, doesn't hurt if Clipse apologizes to their mums, right?

Clipse - Momma I'm So Sorry







Scrobble Scribbler uses Last.FM and Last.FM's "Audioscrobbler" software. However, Scrobble Scribbler is not employed by Last.FM and thus views expressed by its author are not those of Last.FM. Join Last.fm here

No comments: