Thursday, September 18, 2008

Scrobble Scribble #4: Stones Throw 101 Mix CD by Peanut Butter Wolf

To coincide with the camera task I have to do for this week's DIGC101 class and continuing the Hip Hop music, I bring you the "Stones Throw 101 Mix CD" by Peanut Butter Wolf - the record label's head. I just bought this, and 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields, and the picture to the left is a picture of the box from my phone. For those who don't know, Stones Throw is home to some of underground/indie Hip Hop's finest with my personal, current favourites being Madlib, J Dilla (and their duo Jaylib), Percee P, Oh No, Koushik and James Pants (who actually isn't featured on this mix). Madlib, J Dilla and Oh No are 1st, 2nd and 20th in my top 50 most listened artists (and actually, Madlib and Dilla have more entries as well under Jaylib, Madvillain, Quasimoto and Jay Dee in the top 50). Oh, and I have MF DOOM at 28 - but I don't know if he's officially with the Stones Throw label.

And can I indefinitely say -- Dilla and Stones Throw changed my life. I did discover Dilla after his untimely death, a few days after the release of his masterpiece Donuts. That album is definitely one of my personal favourites no doubt, and once I discovered it I started going back through Dilla's catalogue. Of course, this led me to rediscover his work with A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots which I already owned but didn't know he produced. Beyond that, he opened me up to the amazing talent on the Stones Throw label (and in my personal opinion, he has led to some sort of renassiance in Hip Hop with so many tributes still dedicated to him more than two years after his passing and trust me there are so many more). Of course through Stones Throw, you get Madlib who also goes by the aliases of Yesterdays New Quintet, DJ Rels, Quasimoto (which all have their own musical styles) AS well as being part of many groups formed under Stones Throw. Trust me on this if you don't know, Madlib's solo discography is exhaustive in itself with the exclusion of the production he has done for others.

And this is just a taste of the oddness of the Stones Throw catalogue that, in itself, is an abstract label of any musical genre. Where, say, you might have the straight Hip Hop sound of MED, you get the weird new-wave disco of James Pants, the psychadelic groove of The Heliocentrics and the oddly slow but human breakbeat of Koushik. They're a very eclectic record label that also owns Now-Again and Soul Cal records which re-release old funk and soul classics.

Their eclecticism works however as a cohesive whole, as so made poignantly clear by Peanut Butter Wolf in this mix CD. Their all very short snippets of songs made by artists on the label but dammit if it doesn't feel perfect - just the right amount of music for a mix. For example - you get the abstract Accordion by Madvillain followed by the jazzy Little Girl by Yesterdays New Quintet. It's a more than competent mix in giving you an idea about the sound of Stones Throw or what you have missed out on if you can't get a grasp on the whole catalogue - I'm definitely hearing some new things on here. Besides, with 42 tracks deep you really can't lose.

May I also add that STH101 totally owns STH102 - that was only a DVD (released after STH101). I bought that before this one and in comparison, not only do you get a DVD with STH101 but yeah get this sweet ass mix that I've been playing since I got home from the city.

Out of all the Hip Hop songs on here, I choose to give you Space Slut by Funkaho which is a lot more like dance music. Don't say I don't give you a mix of all different types of stuff here on Scrobble Scribbler.

Funkaho - Space Slut







Scrobble Scribbler uses Last.FM and Last.FM's "Audioscrobbler" software. However, Scrobble Scribbler is not employed by Last.FM and thus views expressed by its author are not those of Last.FM. Join Last.fm here


BONUS:

The history of Stones Throw - Peanut Butter Wolf

And next post...



"69 Love Songs" - by The Magnetic Fields (if I can chose 1 song...)

No comments: