Thursday, October 9, 2008

Scrobble Scribble #8: Esperanto by Jack McDuff & David Newman


Back at it again after a week's break. Technically, I could've given a post last week but I'm too lazy and worked heaps last week. The uni break extends to all of my work, thus I did nothing last week.

Don't think of it as a break though, because here at Scrobble Scribble I'm always scrobbling some of the music I listen to everyday. And tonight, it's a bit of "Double Barrelled Soul" by Jack McDuff & David Newman. I've chosen to use the individual artist URLs above because I think it's more accurate (and the correct artist for this album isn't adjusted). I'm a bit of a jazz fan, but not so far as in knowing actual stuff about muscian's and to be honest, I only picked up this album because it was cheap, had a stlyin' album cover and I had an album of McDuff's lying around some place which wasn't too shabby. According to the greatest encyclopeadiea of our time, Newman got his start playing in the Ray Charles band and "Brother Jack" McDuff and has probably released more than 50 albums (which is actually probably standard for jazz muscians back in the day though).

Not knowing as much about Jazz, I'm not sure what you could compare this album or the song Esperanto to. From it's name, and a bit at the start, I would've compared it to "Sketches of Spain" by one of my favourites, Miles Davis. But that organ and the flute that comes in pits it more in a down-tempo, jazz-groove rather than the spanish tinge in "Sketches...". It's a soft tune, but will surpise you with the screaming keys that come in around the middle which are a bit out of place, but what do I know. Esperanto means 'one who helps' in its language by the way, if that helps the listening experience.

Jack McDuff & David Newman - Esperanto





Scrobble Scribbler uses Last.FM and Last.FM's "Audioscrobbler" software. However, Scrobble Scribbler is not employed by Last.FM and thus views expressed by its author are not those of Last.FM. Join Last.fm here

1 comment:

Brian Barker said...

Good to see that Esperanto makes progress.

An interesting video can be seen at
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670

Otherwise http://www.lernu.net might help?